Thursday, February 18, 2016

DIY Halal 3 Ingredient Strawberry Freezer Jam

Unlike much of the western world, when living in Egypt one can not just run to the supermarket to find fruits and vegis that are not in season and have been imported from another place.  While some supermarkets do carry some imported fruits and vegetables here, it is extremely costly and often unreliable.

One thing I like to do back home is can my produce.  One thing about canning is that is must be stored at a cool temperature and honestly, in Egypt, it is only cool during the winter months.  Canning is not always an easy option.  I have opted to do a lot of freezing but my freezer space is also limited. So how do I enjoy winter fruits in summer and vice versa?  One thing I do is make freezer jam.  This concentrates the fruit into smaller portions but still gives you that fruit well past the season.

Today I have decided to take some of our winter bounty, strawberries, and make freezer jam. Currently at the souq, you can buy a kilo of strawberries for five pounds ( 2 lbs for ~ $0.65) which is a great price so we are stocking up because as temperatures are beginning to hit around 28°C (82°F) I know the end to the strawberry season is only weeks away.

Another great thing about this jam is that it is halal which is one of the reasons I make it back in the states.  A lot of jams are NOT halal containing gelatin which is made out of pork carcasses.  Some also contain alcohol.  This recipe contains neither, therefore is a great halal addition to your breakfast.

So, I thought I would share my strawberry freezer jam recipe which is the same one I have been using for over 10 years. It only has three ingredients and is pretty much foolproof.  It tastes just as good as traditional canned jam but is just easier to make for those lacking canning experience or those who don't live in canning friendly countries.

Halal 3 Ingredient Strawberry Freezer Jam



Ingredients:

2 lbs (1 kg) fresh strawberries
1 1/2 cups (~350ml) of sugar
1/4 cup (~60 ml) lemon juice

Makes: About 2/3 quart (630 ml) of jam
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time:  30 minutes
Cool Time: 2+ hours

Directions:

Wash the strawberries well.  Next we will hull the berries, which means cutting off the tops and stems.  How small you chop your berries will depend on how chunky you prefer your jam.  I prefer a smooth base with some small chunks here and there so I place about 3/4 of the hulled berries in my food processor and blend until smooth.  I slice the remaining berries.

Add berries and sugar in a thick bottom sauce pan over medium heat. Bring to a rolling boil.  Add lemon juice.  Don't worry it doesn't effect the flavor it just balances out the pH of the jam so it thickens correctly.

Continue to boil, stirring frequently.  The jam will thicken and boil very high, so make sure to use a tall pot.  

After 30 minutes remove from the heat and transfer to heat resistant containers.  I use pint jars. Allow to cool for about 2 hours before adding lid. Will last for about 6 months in normal freezer or up to 2 years in deep freezer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment