Sunday, February 7, 2016

Being a traditionalist and a feminist… Not an oxymoron.


I consider myself a traditional Muslim wife/mother and a feminist.  I have had many people tell me that I am old fashioned, or that by considering myself both I am contradicting my own beliefs.  I do not believe this is true.  It is possible to follow traditional roles of a wife and mother while still being a feminist.  Frankly, I am tired of women who claim to be true feminists telling me what I can and can’t do as feminists - isn’t that the kind of thing feminists are against in the first place.  In this article I am going to explain how I practice being a traditional Muslim wife and mother as a feminist.

Traditionalist beliefs can be defined as an emphasis on the value of tradition, moral codes, and traditional values (traditionalism, n.d.).  As a Muslim woman, my traditionalistic beliefs bring me to Hadith and Sunnah that state the woman’s primary job is to take care of her family,mind you I said primary-not the only role.  I take pride in caring for my family because it is a duty assigned to me by God and because I am working extremely hard to raise a new generation of individuals. 

Not only do I believe in following the traditional values for Muslim women, but I also follow traditional methods of parenting, cleaning, and preparing food.  I have a lot of kitchen tools that many ‘modern’ women my age may not even recognize or know how to use.  I do not use a microwave, I cook food from scratch, and I hand wash a lot of my clothes.  I put a lot of pride and effort into every task I do from cooking right down to mopping the floors on my hands and knees.



So, I know what some people may be thinking. “How can this be a symbol of feminism?” “Feminism isn’t hiding in a kitchen but working outside the home.”  “Feminists do not follow man’s expectations of a woman but set their own path.” Well, let’s think about feminism for a moment.

My favorite definition of a feminist is one offered by Su, an Australian woman who, when interviewed for Kathy Bail’s 1996 anthology DIY Feminism, described them simply as “women who don’t want to be treated like shit,” (Bail, 1996).  Another good definition is offered by Marie Shear (1986), “Feminism is the radical notion that women are people." To sum up these definitions, one could say that feminism is women having an equal choice in the role they play in society.

The problem I have with modern feminists is that they believe that because I choose to perform a certain role, the traditional role of women, I,  therefore, have a disadvantage behind men.  I think this is only for the woman to decide.  I do not feel as though I am experiencing a disadvantage but I feel empowered by my responsibilities and duties of my family and God. 

What makes me feel at a disadvantage is other women telling me what I can and cannot do as a feminist woman.  No man is making me chose one way or another; it is woman expecting me to choose a particular lifestyle that they feel is feminist regardless of my views.  Many of those women have said I am “brainwashed” and “under-educated.” The fact of the matter is, I am well educated and have made what I feel is the best-educated decision for myself and my family.  That is my choice as a woman and to tell me otherwise is against feminist values.          

So how did I come to the decision to stay at home and care for my family?  It took a lot of research, a lot of learning, and a lot of looking at the world around me.  Nowadays more children are suffering from obesity and diabetes than ever.   “Childhood obesity has more than doubled in children and quadrupled in adolescents in the past 30 years,” (Ogden, Carroll, Kit, & Flegal, 2014).  Another factor is that almost 160 children are convicted of crime every day, (Slack, 2010).  Children are also suffering educationally, psychologically, and more children and adolescents are committing suicide than ever before. 

Young children now days are shipped to daycare when their parents are working; other parents leave older siblings in charge after school.  I have seen so many times parents who come home from 8-12 hours at work and have no energy to acknowledge their children let alone cook them a healthy meal and spend quality time with them.  So many people in today’s age are more concerned with money than morals and what does that teach a child? Some parents are too exhausted to tell their children no because they have no fight left in them after a hard day at work.  From toddlers to teens this spirals out of control until the parents feel trapped in a terrible nightmare.

Don’t get me wrong, there are a lot of amazing women out there who can focus on work and still come home and provide for their family.  I did it many years.  Working full-time, going to school full-time, while working full-time from home as a full-time stay at home mother of three is no easy task, but I put my family first.  I knew if I couldn’t preform all four roles I would have to cut back to ensure my family never lacked in proper care and support.  I finally saw how I was killing myself trying to work outside the home as these so called ‘feminists’ said I needed to do to be liberated.  I don’t have to sacrifice my sanity or the well-being of my family to be a feminist, and that’s all there is to it.

I love cooking homemade meals because I know I am providing myself and my family a healthier option than a quick 15-minute meal from a supermarket or out of a box.  I take pride in making food that is healthy, beautiful and tastes great.  I take pride in keeping my home clean and safe for my family.  I take pride in the hours of sweat that goes into hand cleaning Persian rugs and hand scrubbing floors because I know it is cleaner than pushing around a mop and cleaner than using an electric floor shampooer that uses harsh chemicals and leaves the water to mold in my rugs. I take pride in hand scrubbing stains from white undershirts and mending torn seams because it saves my family money for things we can enjoy doing together.  I take pride in hours spent teaching my children life lessons because I know they will grow up and pass it on to future generations.

I am a traditionalist by choice.  I am a feminist by choice.  I am educated, and I love my work.  I enjoy the role I participate in society, and no one has the right to try and make me feel bad about my choices.   In my opinion feminist is a woman who doesn’t take shit from anyone-male or female. 



References:

Bail, K. (1996). DIY Feminism. Crows Nest, Australia: Allen & Unwin.
(n.d.). traditionalism. In Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary (Eleventh ed.).
Ogden, C. L., Carroll, M. D., Kit, B. K., & Flegal, K. M. (2014). Prevalence of Childhood and Adult Obesity in the United States, 2011–2012. Journal of the American Medical Association, 311(8), 806-814.
Shear, M. (1986). Reviewing A Feminist Dictionary by Cheris Kramarae and Paula A Treichler in New Directions for Women .
Slack, J. (2010, March 3). Number of child criminals 'has jumped by 13% under Labour'. Retrieved February 02, 2016, from Daily Mail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1255013/Number-child-criminals-jumped-13-Labour.html




  

No comments:

Post a Comment