Sunday, August 7, 2016

Cloth diapering in Egypt

As an experienced mother of three, I can honestly say I despise disposable diapers.  All three of my daughters experienced allergic reactions to disposable diapers and we could only use generic brands which did not withstand leaks. Disposable diapers are one of the things parents will spend thousands of dollars on, money that is basically just thrown away.  I was determined that if I ever had another child I would never use disposable diapers again.

Many parents have chosen to cloth diaper their children for various reasons; whether those be allergy, contribution to the ever growing landfill, the chemicals in diapers, the waste of money... Whatever the reason, it is completely a personal choice and one I completely respect.

One of the things I have looked into since Wael and I started trying to have a baby (the natural way) and now even more so since we're hoping to adopt, is the availability of quality cloth diapers in Egypt.  Most cloth diaper users in Egypt are still using diapers similar to pre-folds (simple cloth and pin together diapers).  These need plastic diaper covers as they are not very absorbent and are not the best for traveling.  They are the cheapest, simple to make, simple to use, and the most available in Egypt.  A mother can make her own prefolds easily out of old t-shirts, thick cotton fabric, and even old towels and burp clothes.

Prefold Diapers come in Several Sizes
While I am ok with using prefolds at home when the baby is awake or as a diaper insert,  I prefer to use all-in-one or pocket diapers when baby is sleeping or when we leave the apartment.  All-in-one diapers are just that.  An absorbent inner layer with a protective outer layer (waterproof made of PUL fabric).   Pocket diapers are very similar except they have a pocket where you stuff an insert (or inserts) which determines your absorbency level. These can be a bit messy because certain brands and styles of pocket diapers require you 'unstuff' them before washing (ewwww!).

My favorite pocket diapers that I have read about would be by bumgenius (link here for US customers: http://www.bumgenius.com).  They have both all-in-one and pocket diapers. Unfortunately they do not ship internationally and are only available in select international locations. While searching their available list of international retailers I noticed a retailer in UAE but that was the closest location to Egypt and the cost of shipping would be outrageous.
Pocket Diaper
A simple Google searched brought up promising results.  I searched for "cloth nappies Egypt" and the top result was for an online retailer in Hurghada called Kuffula.  They have the bumgenius 4.0 pocket diapers for 125 ج  which is about $14.  They also have all in 1 diapers from bumgenius, the bumgenius organic for 150 ج as well as other all in ones from Itty Bitty D'lish, Imse Vimse, and Eco bum.  Taking into consideration that one disposable diaper in Egypt costs between 2-5 ج these are very descent prices.

You can visit the Kuffula website here: http://kaffula.com/

After about a week of searching in English and Arabic this is the only site I have found and the only reference to cloth diapers or cloth nappies in Egypt.  I am sure there might be a shop or two in bigger cities such as Cairo or Alexandria but I am not familiar with any and neither are any of the people I have spoken to.  If any of you mommies in Egypt are aware of any, please feel free to leave me the name of the shop (with location and phone number if possible) in the comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment